Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Review of Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 4: Dragons

Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 4: Dragons by SJ Games


With a volume about dragons, of course I had to review it. Dragons are awesome! Which is one of the reasons why I named my blog after them. It is written by Sean Punch, the GURPS Line Editor.

Executive Summary: Just knowing the title and what this volume was about, made it an instant buy! After reading it and finding four dragons and rules to make my own fantastic and unique creatures, I do not regret it. Having read the Introduction, I wished the new traits had been stated out and given character point costs. Having read all of it, I figure I can attempt doing that on my own in another blog post. It also presents a view of dragons that is a breath of fresh air compared to what I have seen in the past, allowing those that want that to do that and those who don’t to stick to what they know.

I’m a conservative grader and give it 7/10.

The Introduction tells us what this volume is and what it isn’t. And explains how to read the stats and why dragons and their new traits aren’t given a point cost.

Yer Basic Dragons set the assumptions on what a dragon is and give stats for the various sizes of dragon, Small, Medium, Large, and Gargantuan. With a sidebar for even bigger dragons. It also gives us an introduction to how one dragon can differ from another. And that “[b]reath weapons and special abilities aren’t tied to size, age, or bloodline.” Which is completely opposite of what I’m used to, but gives a new face to what it means to be a dragon and how to fight them.

Dragon’s Breath explains the variations of available breath weapons. From clouds to cones and what types of breath weapons they have available, such as Acid, Frost, and Fire. And several more, some of them really interesting. And ways to make them both less and more powerful.

Distinguishing Your Dragon lists several other kinds of traits that a dragon could have, with some comments on rarity. As well as how difficult they might make the encounter. Including dragon magic, with a couple of new rules that make it extra interesting, and ideas on how to modify their breath weapon. And sidebars on their temperament and how unforgettable they should be.

Dragons in Action cover a dragon’s tactics and what a GM should think about when they are controlling one.

Not Your Average Dragon lists four interesting and different dragons based on the rules in this volume.

1 comment:

  1. Super site! I am Loving it!! Will return once more, Im taking your food additionally, Thanks. d&d minis

    ReplyDelete

Twin Mirror Gameplay Walkthrough Part 7 - The End [PC ULTRA 60FPS]

Part 7 of my #TwinMirror Blind Let's Play. The final episode of the series.