Monday, January 1, 2018

Blogging and Inspiration

Last year the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game was published by Steve Jackson Games. And the year before that, they started a Kickstarter for it. And the awesomeness it promised drew me there like a moth to a flame.

It was the first, and only, Kickstarter I’ve ever joined. They raised 76% more money then they had set out to do. But as international shipping costs a lot of money, I had not at first intended to join, but with a special set up they provided that lowered those costs and stretch goals that lowered them further, I decided to join anyway. And I ended up pledging more than I had intended because of the added value they provided in extra digital and physical products.

It took them a little longer than planned to deliver, but oh did they deliver. So much so that it inspired me to do things I have never done before.

Blogging

As I’m writing this here, let’s start with blogging. I did some blogging over at livejournal four years ago about playing Skyrim and Star Wars the Old Republic. It lasted two months and I had completely forgotten about it. Though when I was looking into where I would post my new blog, I had remembered them and looked there first. But I didn’t like their license agreement, so I looked elsewhere. I compared a few different sites and decided to do it here.

Suitably, my first blog post was DFRPG related, the town of Hot Newt where my DFRPG game takes place.

Now I’m working on Dragon Tablets, a fantasy RPG setting inspired by The Elder Scrolls and other sources, after the method used by Daniel Dover at Mailanka’s Musings to turn Star Wars into Psi-Wars. I was looking into the method much earlier than this to work on the Wheel of Time, but gathering all the material I want from the novels will take years, so that will come later. Perhaps as its own series, but perhaps as part of Dragon Tablets. We’ll see when we get there.

My intention was to post Dragon Tablet material once a week, on Thursdays, but now it seems that twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays, will be the schedule I’m going to follow. But as today is New Years Day, I decided to make a different kind of post and get the first Dragon Tablet post up tomorrow.

In addition to those, there may be other things I’ll blog about, just as I did with Hot Newt. It will likely be DFRPG and/or GURPS related, but we’ll see what the new year brings.

Youtube

My livejournal blog from four years ago was stuff most people probably would have made youtube videos about, but that was not something I was interested in doing back then. Not living in an English speaking country for the past 20 years has taken its toll on my accent and my active vocabulary. Even though I understand English as well as ever.

Now I’ve decided to start a Youtube channel anyway. It will mostly be me playing whatever video games I’m interested in at the time. I’m starting with a little bit of Star Wars the Old Republic and will continue with games such as Assassins Creed Origins, Star Wars Battlefront II, and Destiny 2. Most likely in that order.

It was my plan to post twice a week, on Friday and Saturday, with one game series running on Fridays and another game on Saturdays. But due to technical issues, it will only be once a week at first. As I’m only making a quick subscriber/free to play comparison on SWTOR and only playing the solo campaign on Battlefront II, those will not take very long.

Unboxing

Another thing I wanted to do was unboxing videos. I’m listing this separately from the above Youtube heading, even though these videos also would be posted there, because these videos need a camera.

And so I went looking for a camera. I found the TomTom Bandit, which looked very cool. I checked out some reviews and though it definitely wasn’t created for this type of recording, I saw myself using it when running too. The story of the overweight geek getting into shape kind of thing. The synergy sounded awesome. So I bought it.

As it turned out, the Bandit was completely useless for indoor unboxing videos. My phone was too old to link up with it, so it couldn’t be used as a screen during recording. And as the Bandit doesn’t have a screen on its own to show what you are recording, I needed that, I couldn't see what I was recording until I was done. And that didn't work very well. And for health reasons I haven’t been out running since I bought it, but hopefully, that will work out better later.

Math Geek and Motivations

As this blog post comes to its end, I would like to share a tidbit of my personal goals for the new year. I wouldn’t like to call it a New Years Resolution as in my experience those fail. I’ve decided to summarize it into the mathematical statement ${C} \choose {-S}$. But what that means, I will be keeping to myself.

Have a wonderful new year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twin Mirror Gameplay Walkthrough Part 7 - The End [PC ULTRA 60FPS]

Part 7 of my #TwinMirror Blind Let's Play. The final episode of the series.